Wednesday, August 17, 2011

En el aeropuerto

Today we are on our way! I write this from the Washington National Airport. Yesterday I met the other Water & Sanitation volunteers that are heading to Panama. We had an orientation session yesterday in a hotel in Arlington, VA.There are 17 total in our group, all in our 20s-30s and evenly split between men and women. Two of the volunteers also have architecture backgrounds, so I look forward to learning more about that!  Others have backgrounds in engineering, environmental studies, and Spanish. There are 204 total PC volunteers in Panama.

In our orientation we discussed the Peace Corps' goals, guidelines, & expectations, as well as our own hopes for this time. Getting more specifics about our plans and discussing our concerns-- and the Peace Corps response-- was encouraging. We discovered a lot of us are looking forward to- and nervous about- some of the same things! Highlights are connecting with Panamanians and their culture, accomplishing projects, and exploring and enjoying the country's ecology.  We fear crime, scary insects, language miscommunication, project-related struggles, and having gastrointestinal upsets!  It was helpful to realize we were in the same boat, and that we will get training on how to manage our risk.

On a lighter note, my roommate in the hotel brought a 2 lb jar of peanut butter! That's something I didn't think I needed. :) but we'll see. I'm much more likely to crave chocolate, which Panama produces, so I don't think there'll be much of a problem there!

When we arrive later today, we will be staying for several days at Peace Corps guest houses in Panama City where the Peace Corps has its office. Then we will head together to our training community in a rural town where we'll be placed with host families.  We'll be taking classes in language and technical skills 5 days a week, plus a half day on most Saturdays.

When I arrived in DC two days ago, Cousin Jeanne and Pat met me at the airport, and my boyfriend Ken came by in the morning of my orientation (he's visiting his parents near Baltimore).  It's been a blessing to see, to call, to write, and to connect with friends and family in advance of this trip. Thank you for your messages, your thoughts, and your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment