Thursday, February 2, 2012

A little excitement

Ngäbe-Buglé close highway in Chiriquí | Locales-Ultima Hora | Prensa.com

The tribe is protesting a proposed copper mine in the Comarca, their reservation. Or more specifically, the laws governing mineral rights. The main and only highway across the country has been closed for 3 days by protesters, and the radios, which are on in every house, blare stories of spoiled produce and pregnant women in the stopped vehicles. Happily where I actually live, in the mountains above the highway, is more calm, or "todo tranquilo" as they say.  Though many community members are down at the protests. Prayers for a peaceful and just resolution to a long standing dispute are appreciated.

On another subject, I'm definitely not an early adapter of technology. Nor is my family, as I typed most of my high school papers on a typewriter. But thanks to the generosity of friends who've donated a smartphone (thanks Ken and Katherine) I am now able to cruise, or rather,  slowly crawl the internet from my mountain village, at least "de vez en cuando," once in a while. Thus I'm able to share this with you today!

1 comment:

  1. Hurrah for smartphones. I got your letter a while ago, by the way, and I do plan on responding soon. The protesting situation sounds chaotic and I hope it will be resolved soon! Take care, Melissa

    ReplyDelete